Secret 5 - Committing to self-focus


Reading this chapter I think I sort of felt guilty for NOT being more creative because I do have the freedom unlike many women I read about who are producing so much great work. I am at a place in my life right now where I can focus almost all of my attention on myself if I wanted to, is that sort of selfish? I really have no excuse what-so-ever not to be creative at any moment I feel like doing it - I can truly be my own person - I have no one who is immediately reliant on me day to day. I can get up and eat my Saturday breakfast at leisure and then begin painting and paint all day long if I feel like it. Maybe I shouldn't feel guitly about that.

My mom is a fine artist and always encouraged me to be creative too. As a young married woman she worked as an illustrator for the Baptist Sunday School Board to put my dad through medical school, but when she had my older brother she became a full-time mother and focused on being a full-time mother until we went off to college - then she picked up her paint brush again and began to focus on the artist she had put aside to rear children. She began taking studio classes, studied with well-known painters like Marc Chatov, and began painting commission portraits and landscapes and was so happy to be creating again. To this day she will paint all day long and will have at least one or two paintings in process and continues to take classes. She has always been my role model.

My daughter is now in college and I think she's taking pretty good care of herself, so now is my time to focus attention on myself, right? I'm enjoying having a paint brush in my hand again.

Comments

Genie Sea said…
OH! May this time bring you many juicy and delightful explorations. Sometimes we need time to grow into a new space and feel comfortable in it. :)

I love the picture, so filled with lovely blues. :)
ELK said…
it IS your time and you are enjoying it I can see...and feel it!
Nadya said…
Your breakfast looks like mine!! I am eating as I read before heading off to 'work' . . .
Looking at your lovely blue bowl & blueberries, I think *creativity comes in many forms, not the least, daily beauty!!* May your day be, indeed, beauty filled, & your soul recognize all its beauty!
You most certainly do deserve it! I am eager to see what you have in store for us :)
Anonymous said…
Oh yesssss!!!!! U are so right!!! This is your time!! Don't let it get away, I don't have to tell you how time flies either, lol. Spend time doing things that make u feel good and that u enjoy, just create, create and create some more girl!!! lol take care,
Julian
robin laws said…
i stopped over at your flickr gallery which led me and i'm glad because it has been quite some time since i stopped by for breakfast. that looks yummy, yes i would love some of those blueberries thanks!
i have a lot of time to be creative but feel like i have none. it is a funny thing this hang up i have about just doing it. i am so tenuous and hesitant and by the time i build up my courage to tackle something it is time for me to do something else. it never fails.
you are an amazing artist, i have said this before. selfish gets such a bad rap. it just means to focus on self. now how bad can that be? creative energy has the healing force of flock of prayers sent straight to heaven so i encourage you ...and me too to make the world a better place with our joy.
Vanessa said…
my mom didn't know what to do with herself when i moved away to college. i looks as though you are doing just fine! and your breakfast is making my mouth water!
Leacayoungart said…
I keep forgetting about this blog.

It is your time. I had three little ones at a young age and now they are all big and I have some free time, not working right now, and so I often times have more time than I know what to do with and feel a little guilty but it is MY time!

Popular Posts