A Passion for Creating

Relyn, a blogger friend of mine, asked me to write a post for her "passion for..." series and even though I am a horrible writer, I agreed. I decided I would write about my passion for creating.

I've grown up in a family full of talent and passion for creating. My father, a retired OBGYN, is a master at creating whatever it is you want. You aks for it and you have it within days. He is a woodcrafter, a blacksmith, a baker and most recently a broom maker. My mother is a portrait painter, but beyond that she is quilter and accomplished artist in many realms - always called on for help in decorating. She makes amazing dolls and intricate crocheted snowflakes, etc, etc. She is the one who instilled in me the passion for creating. As a young lady she was an illustrator for the Sunday School Board. As a young mother she guided us as we created our own Christmas cards every year and encouraged us to enter art contest whenever possible and instructed us in painting techniques, etc. My brother used his talents as a medical illustrator. He has my dad's genes for sure. He can make anything! Seriously. And if doesn't know how - he learns. Since his retirement he has taken up several crafts - turning beautiful wooden bowls, making a wooden chess set and knitting believe it or not. He is knitting little caps for premie babies for a local hospital. I can go on and on about  his amazing talents but it would take too long. 

So, as you can see, I was surrounded by talent. I always knew that I would be some sort of artist when I grew up. I got a job as an art director and have stayed in that field all of my career. And even though it uses some of my creative talents I might not say that I am completely passionate about it. Not in the same way as being passionate about something I make with my own hands. I like to create with my hands from raw materials. I am a painter, a potter, a weaver, and recently learned to knit... but my new passion lies in creating from metal. 

After learning from several masters I decided to set up shop and create my own line of jewelry. So about a year and half ago I opened AutumnSunJewelry on etsy. I am sure you all know about etsy. Isn't it a joy to buy handcrafted items? I try to purchase most of my gifts from artist on etsy. I don't sell like gangbusters but that's not really the point for me (although to see my sales one shy of 100 makes me pretty happy). What makes it a passion for me is the joy it brings others.



I have shared about one of my customers and how the ring I designed and created specifically for her helped her in her time of grief over the loss of her husband. 
" I very recently lost a man very dear to my heart and want a ring, preferably a spinner for the many times I will experience anxiety knowing he is now only with me in spirit. He shared a song by Warren Zevon with me before his passing and I am hoping these words from that song could be put on the inside of a band: "Tu eres el amor de mi vida" (You are the love of my life). I have admired your work for some time and in particular like this ring. I am open to your ideas. Do you think it possible to make this happen?
Thank you in advance for your time. I am waiting as I am hurting and feel a strong need to make this happen as I hope it will bring me great comfort.
Leslye, if you have to create a special design I will gladly compensate you. My hope is that this ring will help me breathe again. My heartache is almost unbearable. I am hoping that we can also have his name in there too. Travis.
So hard to even type and see his name.
Thank you again."

 Another special ring was one I designed and created especially for a mother-to-be. Her husbands was so excited about giving it to her when the baby was born.
 "This was my first commissioned piece I made on Etsy. Leslye @ Autumn Sun was a joy to work with. Quick replies to emails & she supplied photos to shown the piece in progress. I was blown away with the final presentation & craftsmanship. I bought the "secrete spin ring" for my wife as a gift to celebrate our first born. We didn't know what flavor the bun in the oven was, so the hidden aspect of the ring was perfect. The details of the ring (the dogwood flower, Elm bark texture, & hammered stamping) make this a treasure heirloom. Leslye is great, talented & definitely an artist. You won't be disappointed."

A request for simple wedding bands for a couple in Haiti who have little money.

One time I got a request for a butterfly necklace because butterflies represent his wifes brother who had passed away. Even though, at the time, I did not have a butterfly creation I designed one just for her. It is now a favorite piece of many.

I particularly love the request I get for something as of yet created. It makes it all the more special to design specifically for that individual. I like the process of designing, experimenting with different metals and textures. There is always something new to create.

Most of the stories are not quite so touching but each has a special story nonetheless and the pieces are created specifically for them alone. The gratitude that is expressed in return amazes me. It brings me great joy to make others happy - it makes me want to do more. And that is what passion is all about.

Comments

Popular Posts