Creative portrait


If you've read my blog in the past you've probably seen some of Taylor's "Alice in Wonderland" series she did her senior year for her photo final. This was one of the photos I took of her in our backyard as she was trying out the positioning and props for her final photos - she later used a tripod in a wildflower field we found down by the river. At the last minute she rigged the flamingo to look as if he was pulling her sash which I think adds a lot of character to the photo. I love the movement and emotion in this photo as "Alice" gets frustrated with the flamingos during the croquet game.
I show it to you because I am very impressed with what she is doing with it now. She was given the assignment to do a "creative" self portrait in her drawing class and she chose this photo to work from. I'm impressed with her interpretation of it and her great sense of design and addition of bold flowers. It's clear she didn't just copy the photo. I love the way she treated her eyes, making them larger than life, exaggerating the expression of annoyance. Even the flamingo pulling her sash has a look of mischief in his eyes, and to me the other one has a look of arrogance. I think, all together, this piece is brilliant - vibrant colors and strong composition and design - but that's just a proud mom talking. I can't wait to see it in person.

Comments

ELK said…
L.
thanks so much for sharing the side by side of this ...it is amazing and I agree although I am no expert by any means...I love her face the eyes...the chin!

her blues in the dress...
you should be so proud!
Vanessa said…
i love seeing all the creative projects that both of you do! i agree with you, the eyes totally make the drawing!
beth said…
wow this is fabulous....really really fabulous !!!
Elizabeth Halt said…
I love how the red flowers are the most vibrant part of the piece.

Why can't I remember the flamingos from the croquet game though? I will have to find my copy of the book.
bichonpawz said…
I think it's terrific also! Her eyes and expression are amazing!
Relyn Lawson said…
This is amazing. Those brilliant poppies with all the soft color. Beautiful.
georgia b. said…
This is so neat! I'd love to be able to take photos and illustrate them like that!

Popular Posts